Total Pageviews

Monday, December 19, 2011

So I'm officially all packed to go home for Christmas break, except for the last of the bedding for my last night here in DC. It's sad to leave it behind, but I'm definitely going to try to come visit DC for a week or so this summer after I get back from Madagascar. I'm starting to get antsy about my trip and it isn't even Christmas yet. I have gotten two beautiful travel journals as Christmas gifts, and I've already started using both of them. :) My goal is to fill them both with drawings and writings by the time I come home (which is definitely going to be a challenge since I've always been terrible at keeping a journal.). I drew a picture of my visa in one of the journals, with colored pencils and all, so I'm off to a good start.

One of the journals I got was from my bestie Kate Brendel. She filled the front page of the journal with a bunch of sayings in Malagasy. Let's just say this looks like it's going to be a challenging language. She said that these phrases are the only ones that I'll need to know:

  • Hi! - Manao ahoana e!
  • Good Bye! - Veloma!
  • Cheers! - Mirary fahasalamana e!
  • Sorry! - Mifona!
  • I'm lost :( - Very Aho :(
  • Theif! - Mpangalatra o!
  • Are you married? - Manam-bady ve lanao?
  • I'm single- Tsy manam-bady aho
  • Can I have your number? - Azoko raisina ve ny laharana findainao?
  • Would you marry me? - Hanam-bady ahy ve lanao?
  • I'm just kidding. - Mananihany aho
  • I'm hungry! - Noana aho!
So it looks like I'll be leaving Madagascar with a husband. Thanks Kate! <3 I'm glad someone is looking out for me here. I'm sure all of these phrases will come in handy, especially "Would you marry me?" :)

And on top of these wonderful phrases, my other bestie Gabbi wrote me a beautiful card with some great pieces of advice, my favorites being the following:

  • If it's moving, don't eat it. 
  • Know that, even when it's tough, you're where you should be and you'll come out all the better for it. 
  • Follow your gut!
  • Remember all those back home who believe in and love you. Never forget them- though they are thousands of miles away, they can still provide comfort when you need it most. 
  • Smile at least three times a day- even if you're curled over a toilet
  • Don't be afraid to try new things
  • Don't be afraid to fall in love- with anyone or anything. In fact, try to find something new to love everyday
I will definitely be trying to follow all of this advice, so all of you back home, I'll be calling on you for comfort! Thank you all for supporting me, even though a lot of you think I'm crazy. :) 

Well that's all for now! I'm off to have my last dinner in DC for a while! 

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Meems!! <3 I hope you have a lovely last night in DC, and good luck on your final. :)

    ReplyDelete