Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

February 5

February 5, 2012

Church was definitely interesting. I actually got to sing Jesus Loves Me in Malagasy, which was pretty cool. I was trying to sing along to some of the songs, but it was definitely a challenge to keep up. I also was able to recognize a few words in the sermon which was awesome.

After we got home, we went over to my grandparents house, where my friend lives. We ended up going for an almost two hour walk where we practiced some of our Malagasy skills. I was really excited when someone asked me "what's new?" and I knew what they said and I responded "not much," which is what you're pretty much always supposed to say as a response. Our language teachers explained that you always say not much, but when you sit down and start talking, you find out what is actually going on and what's new. I love that I am starting to feel more comfortable here, bit by bit. There are rough times for sure, but then there are the moments when you feel like you almost are starting to fit in....that is, until someone stares at you and says "bonjour vazaha" and you remember that you stand out like a sore thumb. On our walk, my friend and I bought a delicious toblerone bar. It was soooo good. I feel like I've been deprived of chocolate since I've gotten here, so it was a wonderful treat. Tomorrow I definitely want to buy some ice cream. We just have to be careful where to get it here because of something about if it's made with water it can make us sick.   I'm excited to go to school tomorrow and see what everyone else did over the weekend. I'm sure everyone will have exciting stories. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment